Search This Blog

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Usenet vs Torrent

Just about everyone on the internet has probably heard of both Usenet and Torrents before even if they do not know what they are, they are so popular lately that everyone has come across the name somewhere.
Most people know and use Torrents for getting legal and often illegal content off the internet, because torrents are free the majority uses them.
Many of us have heard of Usenet but never looked into it because it costs money, even though Usenet has been around much longer then Torrents. Usenet was originally for communication purposes and many ISPs ran there own Usenet servers for customers, but then someone thought outside of the box and used it to transfer files, then the ISPs started to disable there Usenet servers. Now Usenet is a paid service (there are free Usenet servers but good luck finding a good one). But even though it is paid, it is well worth it it in some cases.. Let me give you an example.
I have used Torrents since I built my first computer in 2005 (AMD 64 3000+ 1.8GHZ, 512mb RAM-Upgraded now, and nVidia GeForce 6600) and I have not thought of an alternative besides Limewire, Frostwire and others that are much better for getting small files like music and not so much for bigger files.
Today I got a letter from Cox telling me I had Copyright material on my computer and that I should delete it... Crap.. So I searched for a way to download anonymously, I found many services such as ItsHidden, PeerBlock(Already had that one), TorrentPrivacy(Why pay to be anonymous when your already pirating? Thats stupid...), and many others... Finally I asked my friend what he did and he said he barely uses Torrents anymore and just uses Usenet and that he gets much, much better speeds, I was like "Hell yeah! Lets check it out!" so I did and I asked him what service he uses, he said Astraweb and NzbMovieSeeker and newzleech for the Usenet indexer and GrabIt for the client. I checked out Astraweb and was debating whether I wanted to spend the money right now or now, I was also searching other options and came across Binverse which has a 14 day free trial! I thought "Yes! Perfect!" so I signed up and started downloading the game I had been waiting to play (Borderlands) and it said 4 Hours remaining and I was jumping anywhere from 3000kbps to 10000kbps! (HOLY SHIT!)... The time just kept going down... I was so shocked... I got the game plus a movie in 3-4 hours (and this is a 6.7gb game mind you...) I was ECSTATIC!!

So the point of this story is that if you are having trouble with Torrents, you should absolutely look into paying for Usenet. Yeah I know you are thinking "Why the hell would I wanna pay to pirate?"(If that is what you use it for... I am NOT condoling piracy), but I have to say the speed increase and anonymity is just so nice that its just WELL WORTH IT! I swear from just the day I have used it.

Thats my story for the day!



I am not saying that I pirate or that you should go out and pirate games, movies, or what have you. It is up to you what you do, if you like the game/movie then buy it.
Just have to say that, dont want to get in trouble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! I welcome your thoughts!
Anyone can comment.

Astraweb Affiliate Banner